Over Memorial Day weekend Allen wanted to go check out the trail that his 4x4 club was planning on running on Memorial Day. I didn't really want to go but I figured if he did anything not so bright and got stuck it would be better if there was two of us. It was drizzly that day on and off. Ever since they have started charging to go up the canyon I don't go much because I don't like to pay to enjoy what God gave us. Really a pet peeve of mine.

S0 we went up to Mineral Basin...parts of the road only one vehicle fits. That was not what I call fun. I'm very afraid of heights and when the side of the truck I'm sittin in is basically hanging over a cliff it's panic time. Luckily most people who go up there understand what a problem this can be and are willing to back up to make room.
In the end though it is worth it because it is so green, cool and quiet...did I mention it's quiet? All the hussle and bussle of city life really wears on ya (especially living on a very busy corner). But it's so gradual that it's hardly noticeable until you escape, even if just for a few hours. With the run off right now the streams are like booming rivers so everywhere you go you can hear the water...so relaxing...love it. I was kind of disappointed though because I didn't see any wild life...still enjoyed the peace and quiet though.
When I was in high school and there after (til I got hitched) I used to drive the canyon. There was always a spot somewhere that seemed to beckon me. I would park then soon I would be out of the car and into nature I would disappear....the good ol' days. I don't know if it's just me or if it's nature. But in these alone times with nothing but nature around me (sound of passing cars blocked by the sound of the river, or stream if the end of summer) I always, always feel peaceful. Like everything is okay, troubles disappear and everything is just okay. I look around and every living thing around me feels like it's God's way of saying, "I love you". Sounds cheesy I know but...that's just me.
One day I'm going to get out of the city for good. I'm going to move far away from traffic and confusion. I'm going to be able to look out my back (or front or side) windows and see trees, grass, animals, a stream...anything but asphalt, buildings and cars. I can't wait!!!

I almost forgot, Allen got a new Jeep. Obviously not NEW, but new to him. It was completely free except the gas to go get it. Although it is more of a project than originally thought. He was told it was a problem with the starter but nay...the engine is seized. That's okay though, he has a newly rebuilt engine he can put in it. He's so excited about having a project he can put together and modify souly for the purpose of going on trails with his 4x4 Club. I have to admit...I'm pretty excited too. :)



1 comment:
i looove the canyon too. i used to drive it allll the time back in high school days too! i loved it when it was fall and the leaves were falling and i would look in my rear view morror to see the leaves flying about. weird, i know, but it one of those strange memories that stick w/ ya for whatever reason. i have so very awesome memories there, with others and with just me and my thoughs, aWeSoMe!
Post a Comment