A few months ago when I found DCI I happened to find a message board that has been incredibly helpful and provide a lot of support (not that others have not been supportive, it's just different coming from someone who is in the same boat). I go on everyday and talk to other women who suffer from PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome.
I love this board because for the last ten years I haven't been able to explain to people the emotional crap that goes along with it. Not just the infertility but the low self-esteem that goes along with the weight, skin problems, hirsutism, low energy and in general not feeling very healthy (good). On soulcysters.net we understand each other. Everyone has their own story too, including what has helped and what hasn't (very helpful). I love being able to share my knowledge about DCI with people who can really use it!!! If what I know can help others get rid of the crappy symptoms and even better than that help them get knocked up (I always ask Allen, "When you gonna knock me up?")...my 10 yrs of infertility and emotional yuck...soooo worth it!!! The past few days I kind of wonder if that was the purpose.
Back when I was diagnosed I didn't know how to go about getting a lot of information about it. Don't get me wrong...I spent hours researching. But over the years I kind of quit trying to figure it all out because I wasn't getting pregnant with any of the information I could find. But 10+ years ago there wasn't nearly as much available info as there is now. Now all you have to do is Google PCOS and...bam...prettty much everything you want to know. If you want to know about symptoms and why they happen. This is going to sound a little strange, you still have to look pretty hard to find that the root cause for it is Insulin Resistance (does insurance control the internet too?). It's really very annoying.
I thank God everyday for leading me to Dr Purser who actually told me he was worried about my insulin levels. He didn't down play it like every other doc I have seen. He very easily could've said like I have heard MANY times before, "Your insulin is up, you should probably be taking Metformin to help with that."
It's estimated that upwards of 10% of all women have PCOS, a lot of them don't know it though (makes sense...how many people keep track of their insulin (not glucose) levels?) This makes me think that ALL ObGyn's should be very educated about this problem. But I've seen a few and I really have to wonder if they know as much about it as I do...the patient. Very frustrating!!!
Sorry so long...it was supposed to be real short but I have a tendency to just keep going when I talk about this subject. I'm just hoping at some point this post may find it's way to someone(s) who it can help.



2 comments:
oh, yes, that's good to blog about things like this, cause like you said, you never know who it may reach. excellent. my mom is having a lot of health problems right now, and i am scared and frustrated b/c it's like the doctors just don't REALLY know anything!!! she been sick a longgg time w/ some sort of cold/flu thing. she has heart pains and her heart rate is up in the 120's when she has been resting or asleep. hello!! somethings wrong with that!! they want you to THINK they know EVERYTHING. so i think their tactic is to just make you feel crazy like you are making up symptoms or something. ok, so of course my moms problems are not like yours...but it just made me think of how doctors, even ones who are supposed to be specialists on a certian area, should know more considering how much they get paid. yes, yes, i KNOW they are only human too, BUT still. my husband has been on blood pressure medication for the past three months. prior to that he was having TERRIBLE TERRIBLE headaches and problems. he went to the doc to see what was up. they took his BP, it was high, but they said nothing about it really. the doc checked him over, but sent him on his way w/ a prescription to clear up his sinuses. well, of course my husband still felt crappy. so he researched the whole thing on his own, called back the dr. office asked what his BP was that day he came in, and then asked THEM if this could be the problem. long story short, it was the problem. something as simple as diagnosing high blood pressure??? i mean REALLY!! ok, so i veered WAY off the subject at hand here, but it just goes to show ya. i know the human body is complicated, and ESPECIALLY the female reproductive system is complicated. anyway, i 100% agree w/ you. all OBGYN's should be better educated about this. every way i turn i meet and know ladies w/ troubles conceiving, it's like its almost an epidemic. it would be wise for doctors to educate themselves as well as their patients can educate themselves. sorry, i am a rambler...time to go to bed, i'm getting duh!!
p.s. i am so glad you found that message board in order to get support and information :) the internet provides some really great things!! i can't even begin to imagine the depth of your frustrations :*( i was just wondering if you could give me the link or the site so i could pass it along to someone else i know who struggles w/ PCOS. thanks! :)
Post a Comment