I just received this in an email:
"Prayer is a privilege and the soul's sincere desire. We can move beyond routine and 'checklist' prayers and engage in meaningful prayer as we appropriately ask in faith and act, as we patiently persevere through the trial of our faith, and as we humbly acknowledge and accept 'not my will, but Thine, be done.' "I witness the reality and divinity of our Eternal Father, of His Only Begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Ghost. I testify that our Father hears and answers our prayers. May each of us strive with greater resolve to ask in faith and thereby make our prayers truly meaningful." David A. Bednar, "Ask in Faith," Ensign, May 2008, 97
I remember as a little girl my mom would always tell us to say our prayers before bed. It seems like one week sometime I had been told when praying I need to imagine that I am kneeling at Heavenly Fathers feet talking to him, like I would talk to my Earthly father. So I did, in my mind I saw myself kneeling at his feet with my arms resting on his lap then started to pray. This was the first time I knew without a doubt that my Heavenly Father is there and he does listen to our prayers. I felt like I was floating, and everything was peaceful, I was calm on the inside. I had to peak really quick to make sure my bed was still there but when I finished my prayer, I remember not wanting to open my eyes because I didn't want the feeling to go away. The next night I told my mom about it and asked her to say prayers with me, I wanted her to feel what I did. To my dismay it didn't work. :( I asked her why it was different this time. I think, I'm not completely sure, but I think she explained how sometimes when people pray their hearts and minds are open to Heavenly Father more than other times so it's easier for Him to communicate with us and to let us know he's there.
It took this email to help me remember this experience but while thinking about it I am very ashamed that I have not had more experiences like this, especially knowing it's my choice to get these spiritual hugs from Heavenly Father (or not). He's willing to give them at anytime. We just have to ask. And they feel so good!!!



1 comment:
Thanks so much for sharing that sweet story about prayer! So beautiful. I love Elder Bednar, what a great quote from him as well! The apostles are so great, I just love em all!
I just got done reading The Anatomy of Peace. It was so fantastic! Thanks for putting it on your blog! I read it cause of your reccomendation, it's excellent. I liken it (in a way) to religion a bit. Not that this book is religious at all, but it just made me think of this: If we would just love others the way Christ loves them, our hearts would be at peace with them. Christ does not see anyone as an object. He knows we all have fears, doubts, etc. (furthermore, in the case of our Savior, he KNOWS our exact feelings) Anyway, I suppose that is what charity is all about. I think charity does have to do with loving Christ with all our heart. But it has even more to do with loving others with all our hearts the way Christ does. Well, anyway, sorry to go off in another direction there (typical of me...) but it was a good book, and I think every person on Earth could benefit from it!
Post a Comment