23 April 2012

Attack of RSV

On the 8th we took Gunner over to the ER because he had been sick for a couple days but Easter morning he was so bad. His sinuses were so full of boogers and he had drainage like no other going down his throat. It was to the point he couldn't eat because the drainage would make him gag and then he would throw everything up. Not that he could get much down due to the fact he couldn't breathe through his nose. It was so sad.
They tested him for RSV and it came out positive. Pretty much they said they couldn't do anything for it except suction his nose out and prescribe a nebulizer and write up an order for the "suction clinic". The suction clinic is just so we could take him over to the hospital anytime to get him suctioned. The order was good for two weeks. We also had him write an order for Tori since they co-bed and had been sharing bottles.
I am so glad my mom lives close and could come and help me! Gunner was sick for about a week super sick for 3 or 4 days. I would wake up and have to go make sure he was still breathing if I couldn't hear him through the monitor. He was on the mend and starting to feel better when Tori started on her way down. She too was sick for about a week and super sick for 3 or 4. Her nose and sinuses are a lot smaller than Gunner's so I kind of worried more about her at night when I couldn't hear her, in general her breathing was a lot louder and more labored. We ended up using the nebulizer on her more than him because her lungs tightened up worse and made it impossible for her to have productive coughs.
The thing that killed me though was the trying to eat and it making them cough and cough and cough then it would get the phlegm moving and make them gag and in the end there would be phlegm filled puke everywhere. Not only was it disgusting, it was one of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced because I couldn't fix it or stop it! Then they would look at me with red eyes from the whole experience and start crying. Talk about heartbreaking!
Before it was over we were ALL sick. And we were all exhausted. It seems though that things are on the up swing and we are all getting close to being over and done with it. YAY!
I wish someone could tell me I would never have to see my babies that sick again. Yes, I know, that kind of stuff just goes with the territory of being Mom.

1 comment:

Gates Family said...

So glad those little ones are feeling better. It is definitely rough watching them and feeling so helpless. Good thing it is warming up, hopefully they can stay well now. :)

And... I want to read about the birth story, what's your other blog?? Email me. :) Please. :)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tell Me This Isn't The "Cure" For PCOS - I LOVE IT!!!

baby growth
baby

Thanks for visiting!